Tuesday, March 12, 2013

THE FIRST TIME: A Movie Review

"I don't know much about relationships. And I don't know anything about love. All I want, like in the world, is to just keep talking to you. I wanna know how your day was, where you wanna eat and I wanna argue with you. And I wanna hear all your theories even the ones that are just completely, you know, wrong. I know it is not that simple. I just think, no I really believe that if you just be willing to continue having this conversation with me, then we can figure the rest out."

Now, who wouldn't fall in love with that? I almost did. Why I did not is another story :))
When I first saw the title, I thought it was just another teen romantic flick. Honestly, I was hesitant to watch, thinking it would be a waste of time. Boy, was I wrong!

The storyline of The First Time revolves around two high school students who accidentally met at a teenage party, which they both did not enjoy. They ended up talking to each other and eventually, the growing attraction between them started to get beyond their control. As teenagers, there is always the great interest in things that are supposedly not meant for them to do yet. After a lot of awkward moments, they actually did the deed. Unlike other romantic stories though, it was not as good as they both thought it should be. They ended up disappointed with themselves and with each other, resulting to an apparent separation. After being away from each other for some time, they realize that they were just scared about the things that come with a relationship and how much they wanted to be together. And that's when those utterly simple yet annoyingly sweet lines started pouring out.

The greatest thought this movie has to offer is something every individual should learn about love and relationships, and that is the fact that it is not just about the sex. There are people who are too blinded with the satisfaction that they get out of the sexual activity that they fail to see the other (and more important) aspects of a relationship. I am amazed with the level of maturity that the characters displayed at the end in how they are going to tackle their responsibility to become better as lovers as a part of their desire to be together. Being able understand and be willing to compromise for what is not initially perfect in the relationship are essentials to making the whole endeavor work out both in the short term and in the long run. Personally, I think this is the perfect reawakening film for adolescents simply because it brings the sex part of a relationship down from the pedestal where most people, especially teenagers put it.

No comments:

Post a Comment